Help with postnews on a 3b2

der Mouse mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Wed Sep 7 20:43:23 AEST 1988

In article <331 at amyerg.UUCP>, root at amyerg.UUCP (Admin) writes:
> Have news installed on my 3B2/300 at home, and have no problems with
> receiving news.  But when I try to follow-up to an artice from my
> console, I get "uux failed (-1)" twice.

> I looked at the processes when I kick off a followup, and saw that
> one of them was:

> sh -c uux - -r -n swbatl!rnews < filename

> When I try that command I get:
> stty: not a typewriter
> stty: not a typewriter

> and then a listing of the proper options for sh.

I don't know what's wrong with postnews (or uux), but I can perhaps
de-mystify the failure when you try to run that command by hand.
Whatever tool you're using to look at the processes (ps?) is printing
spaces in arguments the same way it prints a space between arguments.
That is, you can't tell the difference between running

sh
-c
uux - -r -n swbatl!rnews < filename

(each line being a separate argument) and

sh
-c
uux
-
-r
-n
swbatl!rnews
<
filename

or something in between.  When you type it yourself, you get something
closer to the second one (not quite though, because *your* shell
interprets the < rather than passing it to the sh you're running).  Try
it this way:

sh -c 'uux - -r -n swbatl!rnews < filename'

That might help.  For debugging the uux problem, you might try some
debugging option to uux.  On Berkloid uux, this is -x<number>; I don't
know what USG uux uses.

You probably don't need to bother with the sh -c nonsense; you can
probably just run

uux - -r -n swbatl!rnews < filename

(if you use csh (I dunno, do you even have it?), remember to backslash
the ! or csh will misinterpret it).

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu