Whats the best DOS upgrade path?

Bill Pechter pechter at dasys1.UUCP
Sun Sep 4 23:08:24 AEST 1988

In article <39457 at linus.UUCP> mhg at mitre-bedford.ARPA (Granoff) writes:
>After a total mishap and 98% recovery, I am now ready to try and
>upgrade the DOS on my PC.
>
>As I understand it, I cannot use SYS to upgrade DOS from 2.x to 3.x
>because 3.x is bigger.  I must reformat.  (Once I get to, say 3.1, I
>could then use SYS to go to 3.2 without formatting, right?)

You don't have to reformat if you can clear enough free space in
the area where the dos files go to put the new ones there.  There are
a number of public domain programs that do that.  AT&T's DOS has a
new install program that replaces the older files with the new ones
but I don't know about it working with DOS v2.11.

Reformatting and re FDISKing the disk will allow you to use the smaller
cluster size that'll give you a bit more free space on your 20 meg
though.

>I have read quite a bit lately (here, in fact) that BACKUP/RESTORE
>between DOS versions doesn't work.  Whether that's true or not (is
>it?), I am not planning on using DOS BACKUP and RESTORE.  I got a copy
>of FastBack+, which I am told by others, works just fine on AT&Ts.
>Any comments?  Will I be able to read FastBack+-written disks (under
>DOS 2.11) under DOS 3.x?

Fastback Plus works under all Dos versions and it it reliable.  You'll have
no problems.

>Since I will have to reformat, what is the exact procedure?  I think I
>know, but I would like to check it out before I start:
>
>     1. DOS BACKUP my FastBack+ directory, to RESTORE later onto 3.x
>        disk, rather than reinstall it from scratch

I recommend just reinstalling the fastback plus directory or do what I did.
I made a bootable version 3.x disk with fastback plus, fdisk and format on it
and used that to format /S C: and to begin the restoration.

>     2. Low level format with interleave factor 3.

Your best interleave may be 4 or 6 instead of 3.  I recommend getting
a copy of Spintest to see what works best.  My fastest interleave was 6 using
the WD1002-wx1 Superbios Rom, 4 with the AT&T internal disk rom and now
is 3 after using qfresh to tighten up my refresh time to memory.

>     3. FDISK to create partition.

>     5. DOS 3.x RESTORE of FastBack+ directory.
>     6. FastBack+ restore (all but DOS 2.11 stuff)
>Right??  Will I be able to run DOS 3.x RESTORE on DOS 2.11 BACKUP
>disks????
probably not.  But if you do what I put in #1 it shouldn't be necessary.

>Next, I can go to either AT&T MS-DOS 3.1 or AT&T MS-DOS 3.2.  Which should I
use.

I've used AT&T's 2.11, 3.1 and 3.2.  There's an annoying bug in 3.2 that causes
the clock to lose time.   AT&T's just released DOS3.3.  It's a little more money
but it's probably worth being at the latest rev.

I've never had problems reading different rev floppies with the AT&T dos
versions.

The 3.2 Dos clock fix is to get Biopatch 12 from some BBS. (I recommend the
Right Choice BBS (201) 974-8317.  Or the AT&T run support bbs systems --
(201) 769-5616,or 6397.

>What am I forgetting?  Tell me.

You've got the right idea.  DOS3.x is much better than 2.11.  I re-low-leveled
the disk and got 4mb more free space due to the smaller cluster size.
--
Bill Pechter          {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!pechter
 USnail 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701