Whats the best DOS upgrade path?

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Thu Sep 8 03:51:38 AEST 1988

In article <39457 at linus.UUCP> mhg at mitre-bedford.ARPA (Granoff) writes:

#      1. DOS BACKUP my FastBack+ directory, to RESTORE later onto 3.x
#         disk, rather than reinstall it from scratch.

I would suggest you just write it to a floppy with COPY

#      2. Low level format with interleave factor 3.
This is really a matter of use. With an AT you can run as low as 2:1 and
get improved loading of programs which don't use mush CPU, such as
programs which do more CPU per byte read you will run faster with
interleaves as high as 6. You have picked a good compromise.

#      3. FDISK to create partition.
#      4. SYS to copy 3.x system.

Actually you want to FORMAT /S at this point

#      5. DOS 3.x RESTORE of FastBack+ directory.

Again, Id use COPY to avoid any possible problems.

#      6. FastBack+ restore (all but DOS 2.11 stuff)

I think that will work.

# Right??  Will I be able to run DOS 3.x RESTORE on DOS 2.11 BACKUP
# disks????

I wouldn't bet on it. Some people report problems. Why take a chance?

# Thanks for the information.

Hope it helps
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)