AT&T 6386 onboard floppy controller

Scott Pazur smp at mtunf.ATT.COM
Fri Aug 4 03:44:02 AEST 1989

>Is there nay way to disable the onboard floppy controller on the AT&T
>6386 WGS motherboard (16Mhz)?

  Yes, you can disable the internal floppy disk controller by monkeying
  around with a PAL on the motherboard.  I don't recall the exact chip
  or location, but it was simply a matter of re-inserting the chip
  with pin #1 bent out.  I've never tried to do this, just picked it up
  along my travels.  Perhaps the hotline can offer you more assistance
  on that matter.

>hangs and insists no matter what you do that that *isn't* "floppy n of nn"

  I have had that happen with only two packages - Windows/386 and
  Pagemaker.  If you reboot with a clean system (no autoexec or config.sys)
  I bet it fixes the problem.  It did for me.  I never did spend the time
  to figure out what caused that to happen, but once I was able to
  complete the installation, I really didn't care.

> Why are the jumper settings for AT&T's 6386 kept a deep dark secret
> how to set the DIP switches on my 6386s 32-bit memory board

  I got an installation guide when I upgraded the memory on my 6386.
  It has what appears to be a linear algebra problem near the end of
  the guide to help determine the proper switch settings for the
  memory board.  Another thing that may help you is a file posted on
  the AT&T NSSC BBS (201-769-6397) called SIMMS.ZIP.  It is a menu-driven
  program, again, to help determine the proper switch settings.

  Hope some of this helps, somehow...