AT&T 6386 onboard floppy controller

Bob DeBula bobd at hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
Fri Aug 4 00:55:30 AEST 1989

Is there nay way to disable the onboard floppy controller on the AT&T
6386 WGS motherboard (16Mhz)?  I seem to be having flakey problems
with it and the WD1007-WA2 ESDI controller (with floppy controller)
in my 6386 (I've already played around with jumpers on the WD1007
without much luck).  The problem seems to come in when I have the
floppy drives hooked to the motherboard controller & then try to
install something like WINDOWS 386 or Concurrent DOS 386 (rel. 2.0).
Everything goes along fine until it requests that you change floppies
(i.e. load the next floppy in the install series). At that point it
hangs and insists no matter what you do that that *isn't* "floppy
n of nn".  Anyway, one (hopefully) sure way to cure this would be
to disable the motherboard floppy controller. Is there any jumper for
this on the motherboard (or even better something to make it think
it's got control of floppy device 3 & 4 instead of 1 & 2)?  Of course,
of you know of some way to make the WD1007-WA2 think it has floppy 3&4
instead of 1&2, I'd like to know about that also. If I can't get an
answer for this soon, I may get drastic & sell off my WD1007-WA2 & get
a WD1007-WAH (or even an Adaptec floppyless controller).

**FLAME ON***

BTW why are
the jumper settings for AT&T's 6386 kept a deep dark secret (same goes
for WD hard disk controllers, etc....)? I would really appreciate
(as would numerous others I'm sure) if hardware vendors INCLUDED some
documentation for their products.  Similarly, I would really *like* to
know how to set the DIP switches on my 6386s 32-bit memory board just
in case I would like to do something absurd like add some more memory
to it.  I don't think there is any excuse not to provide this information
free of charge (or at least with a nominal fee) with the hardware (or at
least put in a "if you want to know this send $2.50 to cover shipping"
type of notice in with the machine/hardware.  Are any vendors listening
(AT&T -- hint,hint)?  I really don't want to spend a couple hundred on
the technical manual just so I can change a few jumpers to make my
machine/hardware do reasonable things.  (I also don't want circuit
diagrams & resistance ratings and a bunch of other obscure facts which
mean nothing to me since I'm not an electronics wizard & don't want to
become one).

***Flame OFF***

If anyone knows the magic DIP settings for the memory board & would be
willing to send them to me, I's appreciate it much.  Thanks for listening,
I've got to go take some asprin now...........

-=-
Bob DeBula                    | Internet:   bobd at hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
The Ohio State University     | Disclaimer: These are my views, not the U's