AT&T Unix-PC Hard Disk error **HELP**

John P. Rouillard rouilj at umb.umb.edu
Tue Aug 15 07:10:20 AEST 1989

We are trying to get 5 or 6 unix pc's working.  When we use the 3.51
s4tools, some of the mchines refuse to boot off of it.

They all boot off of the diagnostics disk that was supplied
with the 3.5 distribution, however.

After it boots with the diagnostics disk, selecting [initialize hard disk]
results in a:

          winchester:error during disk format:response = 4.

Does anybody know if this is caused by 1) a bad disk 2) a bad
controller 3) a bad contact 4) anything else.

Any help anyone could give us in getting these machines working would
be appreciated.

atdhvaannkcse

=== the opinions expressed above are all mine and belong to nobody else. ===
   john rouillard           u-mass boston          rouilj at umb.umb.edu
   physics major            harbor campus          husc6!umb!rouilj
                            boston, ma 02125       rouilj%umb.edu at relay.cs.net