RFS, NIs, and TCP/IP

Kevin Lincoln Flynn flynn at anyguay.acm.rpi.edu
Sat Aug 12 12:52:33 AEST 1989

Well, the South American Super Beings are at it again, and God only knows
what's happening.  We have five 3B2's running Wollongong TCP/IP sitting in
the Public Access Workstation Lab at RPI and we want to run RFS -- matter of
fact we want to try to install it next weekend.  Now, we've tried this before.
Always SOMETHING weird has happened.  So I'm asking for any tips, do's,
dont's, advice, "OH-MY-GOD-YOU-DID-_WHAT?!?!?_"s, anything....  what we're
going to be working with is:

	Five 3B2/300s, all with 2Mb of RAM, 72Mb of disk, one Ports card
	and one NI card.  They're all on the same subnet, all running
	AT&T Unix System V Release 3.1.
	Wollongong TCP/IP for SysV Release _____2.0_____ .  I have a feeling
	this may be affecting our chances, but I read somewhere that the TLI
	_is_ supported with this.
	At least one good set of RFS disks.  We may have more.  BUT one thing
	I remember being plagued by last time we tried this is bad disks...

So...  can anyone out there offer any kind advice?  Most importantly, can
anyone out there authoritatively say "Yes, this is possible" or "No, this
won't work?"  And a couple of other questions while I'm at it:

	1) Can a 3B2 support more than one NI card?
	2) Is there any GOOD alternative to Wollongong TCP/IP that comes
	   with source?

Please email responses to >>>>kgh at pawl.rpi.edu<<<<.  This is NOT my normal
reply-to.  (I changed it in this posting, hope it works correctly.)  Reason,
well, right now sendmail is screwed around here too....  <sigh>  We're working
on it.  Really.  [ :) ]

Thanks in advance!!!!!

  - Flynn
Kevin Lincoln Flynn    flynn at anyguay.acm.rpi.edu, userfwvl at mts.rpi.edu
2151 12th Street       H (518) 273-6914  W (518) 447-8561
Troy, NY  12180
...Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours.