Backup of Foundation Disk 1 (6300+)

Mitch Che mche at pbhyf.PacBell.COM
Thu Feb 23 11:26:41 AEST 1989

Thanks to all who responded to my question concerning backing up
the UNIX foundation disk 1 for an AT&T PC 6300 plus.  It turns
out that the easiest way to back up this disk is to use the
MS-DOS diskcopy command on a 1.2 meg drive, either on the 6300
itself, or another MS-DOS system.

It turns out that I get read errors on my ORIGINAL foundation
disk 1, so this may be why copying from the ua command window
("Make MSDOS copy") fails every time.  My copy made by MSDOS
diskcopy has a couple of bad sectors (from the original) but
it doesn't seem to make any difference in terms of being able
to boot and restore the operating system.

A co-worker (thanks Steve) also provided me with this summary of
making a bootable disk.  Hopefully the original authors don't
mind.
======
Subject: Bootable floppy
Date: 15 Sep 88 00:23:43 CDT (Thu)
From: bill at carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy)

John Rudd sent us a more rational "disaster recovery" procedure than my
"cookbook" suggestion.  If the discussion gets any more thorough, I'll
move it to plustech, but we should all know how to recover in case the
worst strikes.  In addition to what John says, I'd suggest that you get
fsdb onto that floppy.  You can repair a lot with it and if you are as
desparate as I was you can even learn how to use it :-(  Bill M helped
me over the rough spots, but use it as a good luck charm.  Have it there
ready to go so you won't need it...  Thanks John!

--
Mitch Che   Pacific Bell   415-823-2454       "All day long, a tough gang of
---------------------------------------     astrophysicists would monopolize the