Systems for doing backups on Unix-PC

Neville Newman neville at deimos.ADS.COM
Thu Feb 23 09:59:19 AEST 1989

A few weeks ago, i posted a request for people to tell me how they
went about backing up their Unix-PC's, why they chose that method, how
much it cost, would they do it again, etc.  i also indicated that i
might post a summary of the information at a later date.  Many people
sent email asking me to post the summary, because they felt it was
a general concern.  The results of my survey are as follows:

     ***** ONLY ONE RESPONSE !!!! *****

One person responded, saying that they used the AT&T QIC tape backup
system.

Apparently all other Unix-PC owners who read this list have decided to
live dangerously, or else they just don't want to bother sharing the
info with us.

i must say that i am disheartened.  i had hoped to find out about $200
systems for backup on 8mm video tape, and other similarly amazing
deals.  :-)

For the time being, i have arranged (i think) to get a Syquest
removable cartridge unit and install a 2nd-disk upgrade so i can use
it.  The AT&T tape solution is the only off-the-shelf setup i know of,
and you can store a lot of data on one of those tape cartridges, but i
think a Bernoulli or Syquest removable-media unit is better suited to
my needs.

							-neville