WD WX2 Controller

Douglas F. DeJulio dd26+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Feb 17 15:51:57 AEST 1989

Hello.  I've got an AT&T PC6300 (640K), a Western Digital drive
controller, and a Microscience 20MB hard drive.  The ROMs in the
controller identify it as a WX2.  I'm using DOS 2.11, and my PC has
the 1.43 ROMs.  Problem: I can format the hard disk (low level) using
the routines on the controller (at C800:0005), and then it reboots,
and drive C: just isn't there.  I use FDISK, and make a DOS partition.
Okay, fine.  Use FDISK to list partitions.  Okay, fine.  Exit FDISK.
There's no drive C.  Bletch.
The ATTSUM utility (dounloaded from AT&T's national service bboard)
was supposed to be used instead of the ROM low level format.  I did
this.  It wouldn't talk to my drive at all!  Said something like
'wrong # of cylinders'.  Bletch!  Any help in getting this thing
working would be appreciated.
I realize microscience hard disks suck, but I picked up the drive
*and* controlloer for $120 together.
--
Doug.deJ | dd26 at andrew.cmu.edu 	           | Carnegie-Mellon University
******** | ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!dd26 | Do not attend this college.