xmodem on unixpc

Vernon C. Hoxie vern at zebra.UUCP
Mon Feb 27 10:52:48 AEST 1989

	I'm having some trouble getting 'xmodem' as distributed on the
net, to receive files from ms-dos machines using ProComm.  They can
transfer down from me but get fatal stops when trying to send files to
my machine.  This is 'xmodem 3.6' by Steve Grandi with a unix-pc patch by
Emmet Grey.

	When reviewing the xmodem.log, I find that the file is received
here but the program doesn't seem to recognize it.  One of the curious
entries in the log is that it is receiving at 1200 baud when the sender
is operating at 300.  Looking into the code I find that the message is
generated as the result of the following entry:

	if (ioctl(0,TCGETA,&ttystemp) < 0)	/* get tty structure */
                  ^
That zero is supposed to be a file descriptor but there is no open()
etc. performed that returns a 'fildes'.  If I assume that since they are
logged in on a port that that port will be their 'stdin'.  Does 'stdin'
always equal 'fildes = 0'?

	Looking elsewhere in the code, I find that all the 'read()'s
use 'fildes = 0' and the 'write()'s use 'fildes = 1'.

	How do I use this from my terminal?  There is no way to tell it
which port I want to use! (ph0, ph1, tty000, etc).  In this case, it
assuredly should have other 'fildes's wouldn't it?

	If 'stdin' = 'fildes'0, then why doesn't the 'struct termio'
have the correct value?  This should be set during loggin even if they
are not 'unices'.  After all, the OBM did adjust to the proper setting
or else they couldn't have communicated at all.

	Are there other patches or how have others using this code got
it to work?

	By the way, another person tried to use this from a different
machine and also using ProComm, but at 1200 baud and he couldn't send
in files either.

--
Vernon C. Hoxie		       {ncar,nbires,boulder,isis}!scicom!zebra!vern
3975 W. 29th Ave.					voice: 303-477-1780