/etc/termcap entry for Data Generals D460

G. Ewing greg at cantuar.UUCP
Wed Feb 15 10:51:54 AEST 1989

Jay Jungalwala (led at athena.mit.edu) writes:

>	I was woundering does anyone out there have a termcap entry for a
>D460, D200, or D210, that will be compatible with a Unix PC!  As far as I

Not exactly, but I'm using a Data General 6053 with a Vax running 4.3 BSD,
and the ^H problem sounds very familiar.

The trouble is that the DG and the Unix terminal driver come from different
universes. The idea that ^H is backspace seems to be hardcoded into the
terminal driver. But the DG thinks that ^H means "home the cursor" (all
very mnemonic, but hardly ASCII!)

I have two solutions to the problem. The simple one is to set the terminal
driver as follows:

	stty erase ^Y -ctlecho -crtbs

where ^Y is what the DG "left arrow" key sends. This causes the left arrow
to delete chars from the input buffer and move the cursor to the left.
It won't delete the chars from the screen, however, so you have to remember
that any chars after the cursor aren't really there.

CAVEAT: the above info is for BSDish systems. If yours is SysVish, the
stty settings may be different. Check your manual. What you want to say
is "echo control chars literally, not as ^X, don't send a backspace on
erase, and make the erase character ^Y".

The termcap entry I use for this setup is:

Mg|dg|dg6053|data general 6053:\
        :is=^R:cr=^M:do=^Z:nl=^Z:bl=^G:kl=^Y:kr=^X:ku=^W:kd=^Z:\
        :bw:am:bc=^Y:cm=^P%r%.%.:cl=^L:nd=^X:\
        :up=^W:ce=^K:co#80:li#24:us=^T:ue=^U:so=^\:se=^]:ms:

The models of terminal you mention may differ somewhat.

My other solution involves a process that sits between the terminal and
the shell which, among other things, translates ^H chars appropriately.
It also lets you map the function keys to arbitrary strings. If anyone's
interested, I'll see what arrangements can be made about sending the
source. It's quite expensive to send stuff from this corner of the planet.

Greg Ewing				Internet: greg at cantuar.uucp
Spearnet: greg at nz.ac.cantuar		Telecom: +64 3 667 001 x8357
UUCP:	  ...!{watmath,munnari,mcvax,vuwcomp}!cantuar!greg
Post:	  Computer Science Dept, Univ. of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand
Disclaimer: The presence of this disclaimer in no way implies any disclaimer.