318H Monitor fix

Wilkin gpw at ihlpf.ATT.COM
Thu Feb 9 14:53:27 AEST 1989

This info is from a set of notes by Phil Frakes. I have condensed and
re-written them to save the important points.  I know there are a number
of you who can make use of 'dead' 318 monitors.  At the end I have also
attached a not about reconditioned TAXAN monitors.
George
THIS INFO POSTED SEPARATELY FROM INTERNAL AT&T NEWSGROUPS, KEEP IT THAT WAY
please....

Taken from the hotline bbs [1-201-769-5616]
Subj: CRT 318 H
Phil Frakes
02-05-89
==================
 Many of you have heard that the 318H monitors are not repairable. Tan't so!
This note details the symptoms of a common problem (at least the symptoms are)
with 318H monitors.  [the monitor is made by Hitachi]  It is VERY similar in
nature to a problem Mac's have, I believe we are on the right track.

 When the flyback transformer goes, apparently the power supply senses
the overload and shuts down after a few seconds. [Lots of folks have
told me they thought the power supply was at fault but could not find
a diagram to fix it.]  If you can keep the power supply running, you
will find the horizontal output transistor will get very hot very fast.
[That, btw is only for the experienced few, PLEASE DON'T JUST TRY IT!!!]

 Replacing the flyback fixed the monitor.  After Phil saw a second monitor
with the same problem, he knew it was going to become a common one.

 If you are the type that would want to change that part yourself, you can
get a flyback from:

                Integrated Systems Service
                PO Box 713
                Lafayette, NJ 07848
[Phil got his parts here I am sure we might be able to find out more sources
if we acn get a little help]

Phil said they were $88 +shipping.  A service manual was also available.

TAXAN NOTE
From: JEFF JOHNSON
Subj: EGA ON 6300

For anybodys info, I called Taxan and found that you can get many of
their discontinued monitors from them as refurbished models.  I just got
a 650 for $280 and it will handle EGA just fine ( but not VGA ).  They
also had 630's, and 640's and the special cable for the 6300.  I don't
have their phone number right now but any dealer should be able to give
it to you.
--
George Wilkin 	AT&T Network Systems,(IH MAIN BL)
                2000 N. Naperville Rd. Rm IH4A157