FORMHARD problems

Randy Suess randy at chinet.chi.il.us
Wed Feb 22 23:58:18 AEST 1989

	I just obtained another 3b2/300 as a backup to chinet.  It
came with the standard CDC 30 meg drive.  I have a number of Seagate
drives of the 4038 and 4051 varieties.  I attempted to use the DEVTOOLS
diskette to format these drives, but it fails miserably on the 4051.
The 4038 works fine.  What happens is that FORMHARD refuses to write the
sanity track on the 4051.  The 4031 has 733 cylinders and 5 head, and
the 4051 has 855 cylinders and 5 heads.  I even tried telling FORMHARD that
the 4051 had 306 cylinders 4 heads (type 2), but same thing.  It goes
thru the format, verify, writting format info routines just fine, but
won't write the sanity track.  3 different 4051's.  Is there a difference
between the Seagate 4051 and most other drives?  I have been able to get
just about every PC drive known to man to work on the 3b2, but not this one.
Thanks for any insite.

--
Randy Suess
randy at chinet.chi.il.us