Hardware flow control on EPORTS

Alex Beylin alexb at cfctech.UUCP
Tue Feb 21 04:23:22 AEST 1989

Is their a way to setup a port of an EPORT card on the 3B2/600
for hardware flow control?

We have a bunch of 3174 controllers with an AEA (Async. Emulation
Adapter) option.  This lets a user on a 3278 terminal access
async. devices connected to the AEA ports on the 3174.

Well, things are not as pretty as they sound.  With XON/XOFF
enabled, 3B2 overruns the buffers on the 3174 when it gets a
string of XOFF characters.  (For a reason known only to the Gods and
AT&T, every even XOFF EPORT gets is read as an XON).

The only way we found to fix this is to eneble hardware flow
control on the 3174 async ports.  Then, we have to enter the
following commands on 3B2 as soon as the user logs-in.
(i.e. we detect if it is a vt100, which 3174 attempts to emulate
and then do hardware flow setup):

	stty -ixon -ixoff -ixany
	epstty hfc

Now, all the stty stuff can be done from the /etc/gettydefs,
but how can we setup a port on an EPORT card for the "epstty hfc"
mode?  The way things are done now, users who dial-in with vt100
emulations are not very happy.

Any suggestions/hints will be much appreciated.
Please don't tell me to junk the 3174s, as it is not up to me.

 Alex Beylin, Unix Systems Admin.       | +1 313 244 3386
 alexb at cfctech.UUCP                     | Chrysler Financial Corp.
 alexb%cfctech.uucp at mailgw.cc.umich.edu | MIS, Technical Services
 {sharkey|mailrus}!cfctech!alexb        | 901 Wilshire, Troy, MI