Looking for AT&T 620/630 terminal emulator

Skip Tavakkolian fst at mcgp1.UUCP
Sun Feb 12 20:18:00 AEST 1989

In article <689 at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, ecf_emeb at jhunix (Mark E. Bouver) writes:
> Hello,
> I am looking for an AT&T 620 or 630 emulator for the Atari ST.
> Specifically, I want it to emulate an XT windowing terminal for use
> with the layers pacakge. The Atari's GEM interface should lend itself
> well to this task, I would think.
> I would also appreciate any information on the actual protocol that
> layers expects from the terminal, as I would be more than willing to
> write my own emulator if one doesn't already exist.
> Thanks, and Happy Computing!
> 						Mark
> ** BITNET:   INS_BMEB at JHUVMS, INS_BMEB at JHUNIX, P99I0620 at JHUVM               **
> ** ARPANET:  ins_bmeb%jhunix at hopkins.ARPA, INS_BMEB%JHUVMS at HOPKINS.ARPA     **
> ** UUCP:     { allegra!hopkins, inhp4!whuxcc } !jhunix!ins_bmeb             **
> **                                                                          **
> ** "The meek shall inherit the earth. The rest of us will go to the stars." **

I've heard that one of the universities had done a port of the Blit software
to the ST. This was a while back; and I do not know if they can distribute
it (due to AT&T copyrights).

Since the 620 does not have the program down loading capability, it may
be just as well to modify the unix end of the UW (Un*x Windows) to
use SXT drivers, and the ``poll'' call to provide the same service.
I do not know if UW provides error checking on the link, but that should not
be too difficult to add.

If you have to have the capabilities of the 630, you may have to reverse
engineer the ST end to provide the same interface (things like wait(),
sleep(), etc).  The 630 programmer's guide has a lot of detailed information
on the 630's executive, which should be enough to get one started.

I would be happy to help with this.

Sincerely
--
Fariborz ``Skip'' Tavakkolian
UUCP	...!uw-beaver!tikal!mcgp1!bruno!fst

UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T