Can several windows be smgr/wmgr/phmgr?

Michael "Ford" Ditto ditto at cbmvax.UUCP
Sat Feb 25 08:53:46 AEST 1989

In article <848 at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ecf_hap at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Andrew Poling) writes:
>In article <618 at icus.islp.ny.us> lenny at icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>>
>>	ioctl(wd,WIOCSYS,SYSWMGR);	/* declare to be system window */
>>

>I've been wondering if more than one window can issue this ioctl.
>Anybody tried it or know?

For each system window "type" there can be only one system window.  Thus
you can have one "PMGR", one "SMGR", and one "WMGR".  Otherwise, how would
the system know to which window the hot key should be sent?

However, if you are trying to "take over" one of the window manager's hot
keys, for example, you can have your own program replace "ph" or "smgr"
(assuming that you don't run one of those) and use "keyfix" to redefine
the key you want to go to the program you're replacing.  The high byte of
a keymap entry, if from 0x80 to 0xfe, inclusive, causes the corresponding
key to be a hot key for system window number (0xfe - highbyte).  See
<sys/kbd.h> for examples.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford at kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!kenobi!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto at cbmvax.commodore.com