UNIX-PC Pseudo-BOF at USENIX?

Ralph Harnden: I don't wanna badger you ext3430 ralph at rtech.rtech.com
Mon Jan 30 04:12:07 AEST 1989

In article <7478 at ihlpf.ATT.COM> gmark at ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) writes:
>In article <708 at ditka.UUCP>, kls at ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) writes:
>>
>Okay, guys.  I'll bite.  What's a BOF?  Some strange satanic practice?
>A flour-based desert crust?  An enhanced ALGOL parser?

Good guesses!!  Your first one comes closest.  BOF stands for Birds Of a
Feather, and is a meeting about an obscure topic on the periphery of the
general conference theme.  Since BOFs deal with topics of limited interest,
they are usually scheduled outside the formal conference agenda.  Decorum
is informal.

I first heard the term at Share *many* years ago, though I don't know the
exact etymology of this acronym.  You probably missed Share -- it's a
conference of IBM mainframe users %-0

--
"People will do anything for a potato"

{amdahl, mtxinu, pacbell, sun}!rtech!gusano!ralph ralph%gusano at rtech.com