610 terminal gone flakey

andrew.d.hay mvadh at cbnews.ATT.COM
Sat Jan 14 01:15:14 AEST 1989

In article <607 at whizz.uucp> bbh at whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) writes:
[]
"	1. When I backspace at the command-line, then enter another
"command over the old one and hit <Return>, I get something like the
"following:
"
"		$ cat                      [type in command 'cat']
"		$                          [now use <Backspace> to back up]
"		$ ls                       [type in the new command]
"		$ cat^H^H^Hls              [huh?]
"		$ cat^H^H^Hls: not found

do a 'stty -a'.  you want the erase code to be , but you'll find it's set to
something else -- probably DEL.  stty erase  will fix it.

also check the access time of /etc/gettydefs (ls -l); this file contains stty
settings for your login to start up with, and if it's been touched recently,
it's probably been changed.

"	2. When I am in the user-agent and attempt to remove files that
"are queued up to print, I can only delete the first one - the down-arrow key
"generates it's escape sequences (seen on the lower left portion of the screen),
"but will not roll down. Also in this screen, I cannot use the mark key. The
"signals are simply not going out to the box, evidently. Other screens seem ok,
"though, of the several ones I went and checked.

this is probably a variation of the above, but i don't know the proper
settings.  maybe you could get them by comparing the gettydefs for the console
and your port.

--
Apprentice Polymath	| Yes, the wages of sin ARE death, but after they take |