layers hangs terminal

Kevin P. Kleinfelter kevin at msa3b.UUCP
Fri Jul 21 00:46:04 AEST 1989

I'm running layers on an AT&T 3B2, with Sys V R3.2.1, and an AT&T 630 tty.
I'm pretty pleased, but there is this problem...

If I accidentally do the following
	login successfully
	start layers
	do inconsequential stuff
	^D (without leaving layers)

The layer is "dead".  Since it is my only layer, the terminal is dead.
After killing off all the "xt" entries and "layers" and "ksh" that I can
find via "ps -e" from another terminal, the 630 is still dead.  Turning the
630 off and on does not help.  It is not available again until the system is
rebooted.

Two questions:
	1) How can I get my terminal back without a reboot?
	2) How can I tell (in a shell script) if layers is active on my tty?
	   (If I can set my prompt string, PS1 to say "LAYERS" I can
	    avoid trying to logout while layers is running.)

--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin