sar and sag broken (sadc)

Novorolsky pgn at cbnewsc.ATT.COM
Wed Jul 26 04:55:57 AEST 1989

kevin at msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter):
> sar and sag have mysteriously broken on my AT&T 3B2/700.
>
> Actually, it is not sar and sag, but "sadc", which does the data
> collection.  When the system boots, sadc is automagically started.
> It creates a file /usr/adm/sa/sa?? (where ?? is the day of the month).
> If I do a sar, it reports "UNIX restarted".  However, the file is
> never updated again.
>
> sadc used to update this file regularly, and automagically switch to the
> next day at midnight (sa?? + 1).  If I manually run sadc, I get
> an additional "UNIX restarted" line in sa??, but there is no sadc reported
> in "ps -e", so I conclude that it updated sa?? and died.
>
> I do not know exactly when this stopped working.  Any ideas? "sar" and "sag"
> are documented very nicely in my manuals, but there is NO doc for "sadc". :-(
>
> --
> Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
> gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

( I tried to mail this, but it bounced......)

The manual page for SADC is included in the SAR(1M) manual page
in the System Administrator's Reference Manual. (The is also a SAR(1)
page in the User Reference Manual, but this is for the SAR reports)
(Please no flames on where things are in the manual. That is why
the permuted index exists.)

SAR(1M) also gives a couple of examples how to use the sa1 and sa2 commands
(both in /usr/lib/sa) It includes a few examples.

The sadc command must be restarted periodically to collect
data over a specified time. The manual pages  show how to
set up a crontab entry to sample over 20 minute intervals.

To try it, invoke "/usr/lib/sa1 1200 3".
The 1200 specifies a sample every 20 minutes (20 * 60 = 1200),
the 3 tells it to take 3 samples (so that the command covers 1 hour)

If these commands (sa1, sa2, sadc) are truly not on the system
(they should all be in /usr/lib/sa) send me mail and I will find out
where you should be able to find them. (be sure to let me know what
release of Operating System you have (output from uname -a).)