sar and sag broken (sadc)

Kevin P. Kleinfelter kevin at msa3b.UUCP
Thu Jul 20 22:38:14 AEST 1989

sar and sag have mysteriously broken on my AT&T 3B2/700.

Actually, it is not sar and sag, but "sadc", which does the data
collection.  When the system boots, sadc is automagically started.
It creates a file /usr/adm/sa/sa?? (where ?? is the day of the month).
If I do a sar, it reports "UNIX restarted".  However, the file is
never updated again.

sadc used to update this file regularly, and automagically switch to the
next day at midnight (sa?? + 1).  If I manually run sadc, I get
an additional "UNIX restarted" line in sa??, but there is no sadc reported
in "ps -e", so I conclude that it updated sa?? and died.

I do not know exactly when this stopped working.  Any ideas? "sar" and "sag"
are documented very nicely in my manuals, but there is NO doc for "sadc". :-(

--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin