Unix pc questions

Tanya Katz tanya at adds.newyork.NCR.COM
Tue Jul 18 23:50:13 AEST 1989

In article <869 at umb.umb.edu> John Rouillard writes:

> Just a few questions on the unix-pc:
>
> 1)  Does anybody have inittab entries for init level 1. Single user
>     mode. I don't relly care if the windowing system is running or not.

on v3.51 mine looks like this
 :su:1:respawn:/etc/getty window 9600
^

--- space in col 1

> 2) If phtoggle doen't work to start and stop a getty (unix 3.5 sigh)
>    on a phone line, is there another way of doing it that will update
>    the status line so that people can see that they are not going to
>    be getting any calls?

The only way I know of is through the call screen...  There must be
a better way!  If not, you need the 3.51 phone manager...

> 3) I have created /etc/issue and am tyring to get the text in that
>    file to show up on the screen with the getty prompt.
>    Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work. Has AT&T hacked
>    the upc's getty so that it doesn't read /etc/issue (would be wierd
>    since its documented to work).  I remember a question like this
>    that was posted but I never saw a reply.

The earlier question on the net prompted me to investigate the
/etc/issue question on our 7300 & 3b1 pc's...

Here's what I found:::

You need version 3.51 to run getty with the /etc/issue file
displayed on the screen; or, rather, you need 3.51 getty.  I have
both versions, and I, too wondered why /etc/issue wasn't being read
by getty.

My son also complained that his telephone mgr didn't have the cute
little picture of the phone in the ph-mgr's window on the 7300 v3.5,
but more important, phtoggle, wasn't on this machine.

One day I got brave and upgraded the 7300 to 3.51 getty & phone mgr,
now I have the little telephone in the phone mgr's window, phtoggle
works, and the /etc/issue file is displayed!

Sorry to say, this is the only way I found to solve those problems...

	Tanya

    ###   ######  ######   #####       Tanya Katz       (516) 231-5400 x430
  #     # #     # #     #  #####       ncrlnk!adds!tanya
  ####### #     # #     #       #      tanya.katz at adds.newyork.ncr.com

  Applied Digital Data Systems, Inc.   100 Marcus Blvd., Hauppauge, NY 11788