AT&T 6300+ ROM BIOS problem

Barry W. Kort bwk at mbunix.mitre.org
Sat May 27 01:48:19 AEST 1989

I have a PC 6300 Plus with a DEB board, 1MB on the Mother board,
and a pair of 2MB memory expansion boards.

I am using an application called DigiTalk Smalltalk V/286,
which runs fine on the IBM clones in our office.  This
application runs in protected mode and accesses real
extended memory above the 640KB DOS limit.

In order to run SmallTalk V/286 on my PC 6300+, I purchased
a ROM BIOS 3.0 upgrade kit, which is advertised to support
protected mode applications.  The kit includes 2 ROM BIOS
chips and 2 PAL chips, which I installed per instructions.

After installing the upgrade, I still could not run SmallTalk
V/286.  The machine hangs just as it did previously, and I
have to do a hard reboot.

Moreover, my DEB board no longer works properly.  MicroSoft Windows
and other applications using the DEB now have confetti on the screen.

The machine passes the Customer Diagnostic Tests, but Norton's
SI program reports fragmentation of Display Memory.  Each time
I run SI, I get a different fragmentation combination.

I would like to correspond with someone who is knowledgeable
about the ROM BIOS upgrade who can walk me through the problem.

Many thanks.

Barry Kort
MITRE Network Center
Internet: bwk at mbunix.mitre.org