AT&T 6300+ ROM BIOS problem

Dean Swan dean at sun.soe.clarkson.edu
Tue May 30 05:23:47 AEST 1989

>From article <54627 at linus.UUCP>, by bwk at mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort):
> I have a PC 6300 Plus with a DEB board, 1MB on the Mother board,
> and a pair of 2MB memory expansion boards.
>
> I am using an application called DigiTalk Smalltalk V/286,
> which runs fine on the IBM clones in our office.  This
> application runs in protected mode and accesses real
> extended memory above the 640KB DOS limit.

I don't know anything about the 6300, but about V/286:

- First, It sounds like you're using a something less than legitimate copy.
  If I'm wrong, ignore this comment.  If not, have the boss buy you another
  copy.

- Smalltalk V/286 can switch between protected and real modes in a couple of
  different ways.  The master disks come with a program to help you determine
  the way that works best on your machine.  If the default method doesn't work
  which sounds like your problem, then you have to specify a command line
  switch to use the alternate method.

- Also, depending on what else you use your extened memory for, you may have
  to set some other command line switches to tell smalltalk to stay out of
  certain areas of extended memory.  This is explained in an appendix of the
  manual.

Hope this helps some!

-Dean Swan
dean at sun.soe.clarkson.edu