Cheap Draw 2.0

Tanya Katz tanya at adds.newyork.NCR.COM
Wed May 10 23:34:34 AEST 1989

In article <595 at flatline.UUCP> (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>In article <703 at icus.islp.ny.us> lenny at icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>>You need to install the Virtual Device Interface (VDI) that comes
>>with the UNIX Utilities.  It's one disk, and on that disk you'll find
>>the /usr/lib/libcvdi.a (C Binding to VDI).

>I'm not certain, but I think the VDI Libs cost extra for 3.0.   Again,
>I'm not sure.  I know that mine were all seperate from the Development
>Kit when I got my machine.

I called 800-922-0354, and spoke to several people and they were unable
to figure out which package contains the VDI disk.

They claim that 3.0 has been unsupported for over 2 years, and the 3B1/PC
machine has been discontinued for over 6 months. (Nothing new there...)
Hence, none of the items are now sold separately, as they once were.
(Manuals are only sold as a part of the software sets.)  And, this disk,
if it exists, would have to be purchased as a part of a package, because
it is nolonger sold by itself.  Now they are trying to figure out which
package to sell me.

According to my Detailed Interface Specification, I quote:

"Two graphics libraries are bundled with each UNIX PC: GSS-DRIVERS ...
(GSS VDI) and GSS-TOOLKIT kernel system (GSS GKS).  These libraries
allow the programmer to create graphics routines which are device-
independent.  No licensing fee is required for the use of these libraries."

The GKS library provides "functionality beyond the GSS VDI library."

I have the GSS-DRIVERS Set, but there are no libraries on these disks.
I have 3.5/dev set, and libcvdi.a isn't there???
As for GKS, anyone have this one??

Folks, whad'ya think??

	Tanya

    ###   ######  ######   #####       Tanya Katz       (516) 231-5400 x430
  #     # #     # #     #  #####       ncrlnk!adds!tanya
  ####### #     # #     #       #      tanya.katz at adds.newyork.ncr.com

  Applied Digital Data Systems, Inc.   100 Marcus Blvd., Hauppauge, NY 11788