compiler chokes on 1986th #define

steve steve at oakhill.UUCP
Thu May 4 05:50:22 AEST 1989

In article <1710 at currant.bbn.com>, ceide at bbn.com (Chantal Eide) writes:

> When compiling a file with a large number of '#define's on our AT&T3B2
> machine I encountered the following error message:
>
> too much defining

 .
 .
Since I just started looking in the SGS compiler for the origin of another
bug (Yes, there are other bugs in the code :-{), I'd thought I'd look up
the origin of this one.

The c-preprocessor contains a large scratch area where all defined
(and other information) is stored.  This is a compiled in as 'SBSIZE'.
So the answer is: No, this limit is compiled in.  The only solution
to use less buffer space in you defines.  (Of course if you had a copy
of this compiler you could bump up this token, but then you would
probably not be posting this question).

                   enough from this mooncalf - Steven
These opinions aren't necessarily Motorola's or Remora's - but I'd like to
think we share some common views.
Steven R Weintraub                        cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!devsys!steve
Motorola Inc.  Austin, Texas
(512) 891-3023 (office) (512) 453-6953 (home)
NOTE: NEW PHONE NUMBER!!