compiler chokes on 1986th #define

Charles Daffinger cdaf at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Thu May 4 04:02:30 AEST 1989

In article <29028 at ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> jas at ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Jim Shankland) writes:
>In article <1710 at currant.bbn.com> ceide at bbn.com (Chantal Eide) writes:
>>
>>When compiling a file with a large number of '#define's on our AT&T3B2
>>machine I encountered the following error message:
>>
>>too much defining

I've had analogous problems while abusing cpp by creating some huge
#defines.  (a different application, not a C program).... "too much
pushdown", at which case, instead of bombing, it just decides it really
didn't want to do any substitutions anyway, and continues on its merry
way...   This is on the Ultrix cpp.

The solution?  Make a smaller #define with other defines nested inside of it,
which in this case was kind of unwieldy....(but worked), and #include'd
a file of the smaller #defines wherever I needed the larger one.. Gak.

or:
>	* port GNU's cpp to your 3B2; (or vax)

	Works wonders.

-charles

--
Charles Daffinger  >Take me to the river, Drop me in the water<  (812) 339-7354
cdaf at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu              {pur-ee,rutgers,pyramid,ames}!iuvax!cdaf