7300 and 9600 baud modems

Dale Lancaster dale at convex.com
Wed Nov 22 15:58:23 AEST 1989

I am evaluating 9600 baud modems to attach to the serial
port on my 7300 for terminal emulation.  I currently
have a Microcom QX/12K I am using on loan and it seems to me
that I am not getting 9600 baud throughput even though all
the status indicators say such.  Can I assume that the 7300
can (using cu) keep up with 9600 baud on the serial line?
I would think any decent computer including my Apple IIE
could handle this.

My reason for doubting is that a full screen update takes on order
of 5-6 seconds, I am used to about 2-3 seconds when running full
bore on a direct connect terminal at work, running a true 9600 baud.
Also, I realize that the Microcom is not a real 9600 baud modem
(it uses 3 to 1 data compression on a 4000 baud interface), but
before I start trying other modems, I need to verify that the 7300
isn't the real bottle neck.

I would appreciate Anyone using 9600 on a 7300 giving some
feedback about what they see.

thanks in advance

dale

...!uunet!convex!dale