Looking for info on SL/IP

Andy Schweig aes at laisagna.i88.isc.com
Fri Oct 6 01:33:41 AEST 1989

In article <1288 at ultb.UUCP> jehics at ultb.UUCP (J.E. Heliotis) writes:
>I have bought the Lachman Streams TCP/IP package for my AT&T 6386 box.  It
>contains a device /dev/slip.  I would like to believe that this stands for
>Serial Line Internet Protocol, i.e., IP over an RS232 line.  Does anyone
>know anything about it?  If it works, how do I make it work?
>
>				Jim Heliotis
>				{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!jeh
>				ritcv!jeh at CS.Rochester.EDU
>				jeh at CS.RIT.EDU

Yes, /dev/slip is Serial Line IP.  To use it, run slattach(1M) as follows:

	slattach ttydev local remote [ baud ]

where ttydev is the tty device name ("/dev/" is prepended if not already
there), local is the internet address to be used for this end of the SLIP
link, remote is the internet address in use at the other end, and baud is
the baud rate (default is 9600).  Local and remote can be specified as host
names or internet addresses in dot notation.  For example:

	slattach tty00 192.9.200.42 192.9.200.57 2400

Once this is done on both ends of the link, the SLIP connection should be
operational.  To tear down the SLIP link, run

	sldetach ifname

where ifname is the interface name as shown by netstat(1M) (e.g., sl0).

Note: slattach and sldetach must be run as super-user.

Andy Schweig
INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.
aes at i88.isc.com
...!laidbak!aes