nroff page offset

clewis at ecicrl.UUCP clewis at ecicrl.UUCP
Thu Oct 5 23:50:30 AEST 1989

In article <189 at zebra.UUCP> vern at zebra.UUCP (Vernon C. Hoxie) writes:

|Can someone give me a clue how I can offset the output of a manual page
|to the right about a half inch.  Under the default settings, the page
|has a margin of about 3/4 inch on the left and 2 inches on the right.
|When I punch holes to insert the page in a notebook, the printing gets
|punched away and all that right margin is wasted.
|
|I have tried numerous variations on:
|
|	nroff -Tfx-12 -rO14 -man compress.1 | lp
|
|where compress.1 is a 'roffed document.  According to the manuals,
|the '-rO14' option is supposed to set the 'O' ( note capital letter Oh,
|not numeral '0' zero ) register to 14 ens for nroff.  I have
|tried '1.5i', '0.75i' and 20 but the left margin remains at 0.75 inches.

The "man" macros don't use the "O" register, the "O" register is only
recognized by the "mm" macros.

Solutions:
	a) edit /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.an and insert this near the end:
		.po 14
	b) nroff -man compress.1 | sed -e 's/^/           /'
--
Chris Lewis, R.H. Lathwell & Associates: Elegant Communications Inc.
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo}!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis