nroff page offset

Vernon C. Hoxie vern at zebra.UUCP
Thu Oct 5 01:26:56 AEST 1989

Can someone give me a clue how I can offset the output of a manual page
to the right about a half inch.  Under the default settings, the page
has a margin of about 3/4 inch on the left and 2 inches on the right.
When I punch holes to insert the page in a notebook, the printing gets
punched away and all that right margin is wasted.

I have tried numerous variations on:

	nroff -Tfx-12 -rO14 -man compress.1 | lp

where compress.1 is a 'roffed document.  According to the manuals,
the '-rO14' option is supposed to set the 'O' ( note capital letter Oh,
not numeral '0' zero ) register to 14 ens for nroff.  I have
tried '1.5i', '0.75i' and 20 but the left margin remains at 0.75 inches.

Crawling through the /usr/lib/macros/an file doesn't do me much good
because of the confounding notation used.  I have an AT&T MM Manual and
their NROFF/TROFF User's Manual but the notation used in the macro file
isn't defined in either of these Manuals.

HELP ME!
--
Vernon C. Hoxie		       {ncar,nbires,boulder,isis}!scicom!zebra!vern
3975 W. 29th Ave.					voice: 303-477-1780