Paralllel printer on 3B2 ports card

Bill Kennedy bill at ssbn.WLK.COM
Mon Oct 30 01:00:35 AEST 1989

I have a 3B2/310 with a plain vanilla ports card and am trying to
get the parallel port (tty15) working.  I have installed the lp
software and ported known-to-work filters for the Okidata 2350 and
HP Laser Jet II, also my cables are known-to-work with the printers
and other systems.  When I lp something it appears in the lpstat
report as printing but nothing prints.  I finally get a "terminated"
message on the printer when I cancel the job.

I have changed permissions on /dev/tty15 to 666 and it is owned by lp
and group bin; /usr/bin/lp is setuid and setgid to lp and bin.  I am
able to cat a file though a filter to /dev/tty15 but the process hangs
somewhere around the end of the file and I have to DEL out.  If I send
a \f\r\c to the printer after breaking out of the cat, I seem to get
everything printed.  Finally, I am using Vr3.1, the one without the
/etc/shadow password file.  Another fellow in Dallas is having similar
problems with Vr3.2, any ideas?
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {attctc,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill at ssbn.WLK.COM   or attmail!ssbn!bill