general purpose bit blitter

Bill Carpenter wjc at hoswjc.ATT.COM
Mon Oct 16 19:47:01 AEST 1989

Now that I've had a chance to putter around with Brian Botton's video
ram access board for the UNIXpc, I realize that it would be nice to
have a user space bitblt routine.

The ioctl(WIOCRASTOP) has some drawbacks:

(1)  it still requires system call overhead to do the raster operation
(2)  it needs a window file descriptor, even if it's not involved in
     the raster operation
(3)  it apparently does sanity checks on the address, so even though
     blasting into video ram addresses is legit once you have the
     hardware mod, the ioctl() won't do it for you

So, who has some nice, post-able, fairly general bitblt routine?
Given that, I'd be able to post a UNIXpc version of the infamous
"crabs" program.
--
   Bill Carpenter         att!ho5cad!wjc  or  attmail!bill