Targa board images under X ?

Thomas J. Pusateri pusateri at romeo.cs.duke.edu
Fri Sep 1 22:51:19 AEST 1989

In article <5284 at umd5.umd.edu> carm at umd5.umd.edu (Rick Chimera) writes:
>Is anyone out there familiar with what one would need to do in order
>to have the X Window System be able to display video images from the
>Targa 16 (or similar) board ?

There is a package called the utah raster toolkit that will convert from
targa to their rle format. Then you also need the Fuzzy bitmap package
and through an unobvious process of separating the RGB components and
and then using the fbm rawtofbm converter you can then convert to gif.
	There is a xgif program for displaying gif images under the X
window system. Alternatively, you can convert from fuzzy bit map to
portable bit map and then using Jeff Pozankers PBM package, you can
convert to x bitmaps.

	Overall, the process is quite painstaking however, if you obtain
these packages mentioned above, you can convert to most formats. Of course,
there is a TIFF package from CMU that is nice to have if you are needing
to convert to or from this format.

	Since the step above to convert from rle to fbm is not obvious, I
will include c shell script to do so.

	FBM was recently posted to comp.sources.unix
	PBM is included in the X windows distributioin and is also
		obtainable for anon ftp from expo.lcs.mit.edu
	UTAH RASTER TOOLKIT (RLE) is available for anon ftp from
		wsmr-simtel20.army.mil

----------------- rle2fbm---------cut here-------------------------------
#!/bin/csh
if ($#argv != 3) then
	echo "Usage: rle2fbm image width height"
else
	repos $1.rle | rleflip -v | rletogray -p $1
	cat $1.red $1.green $1.blue > $1.rgb
	rm -f $1.alpha $1.red $1.green $1.blue
	raw2fbm -d3 -a1.0 -w$2 -h$3 < $1.rgb > $1.fbm
	rm -f $1.rgb
endif

Tom Pusateri
National Biomedical Simulation Resource