Last try on sick UNIXpc, parts to be sold if.....

Dave Mundhenk doc at nucleus.UUCP
Wed Sep 20 02:45:27 AEST 1989

I'm posting AGAIN regarding weird goings-on in my 7300.
I think this is the last time I will post anything unless
I can find an [inexpensive] answer to the problems I am
experiencing. I was up until the wee hours last night trying
to get this beast working, and just when I thought things
were OK, it went berserk again.

AND I REPEAT: (ad nauseum)
The machine is a P3..P5 512K motherboard. I have a 512K RAM
expansion card in it. The motherboard has a daughterboard over
the area where the battery is - others I've seen don't have
this and I don't know the significance of it. I pulled the dead
original battery and wired up a battery holder outside the case.

I run the hard disk off an external 150 Watt power supply.
(Also running the floppy off this too, just in case...)
Disk is currently a CDC 94155-85. (Brand New).
Previously I posted because I had the foundation
set installed and running briefly when the root directory appeared
to be trashed - /tmp was a very large FILE with 000 permissions, etc.
I got a variety of error messages regarding the floppy disk and
expansion memory, so I tried removing the memory board and using a
known good floppy drive. Last night things seemed to be going well;
the disk formatted, the foundation set installed. Then when it came
up and asked for the date and time, the fields were full of strange
characters, like happens when you use an incorrect terminal type.

Then these were the errors encountered:

#HDERR ST:51 EF:10 CL:FF4F CH:FF00 SN:FF00 SC:FF02 SDH:FF23 DMACNT:FFFF DCRREG:93 MCRREG:8300

#drv:0 part:2 blk:16 rpts:1

#HDERR ST:51 EF:10 CL:FF5E CH:FF00 SN:FF02 SC:FF04 SDH:FF20 DMACNT:FFFF DCRREG:90 MCRREG:8100

panic: vgetu

Please record the panic message.
Press hardware reset to reboot.

Can anyone tell me what is the most likely cause of these messages?
After this happened, I put my old WD1010 chip back in and I couldn't
even get the disk to format. Actually, it formatted but when I tried
to enter bad blocks it said "this disk is not formatted" and "can't
recal".     This disk is brand new but I guess it
could be bad...I'll try it in another machine.
If it's the power suppl causing all this, how much do they
cost and where can I get one? How many Watts is the thing, and
can I re-wire the leads from my IBM compatible power supply to
work with this machine?

I guess I'll go ahead and list what I have here, because if I can't
figure this out in the next few days I will be selling all my
lovely UNIXpc stuff:

UNIXpc model 7300 - parts for sale.
----------------------------------
512K motherboard  (suspect ?)
512K expansion board (suspect ?)
Power supply (VERY suspect)
Floppy drive (suspect ?)
Old monitor w/half ht. case (old, monitor is 'wavey')
Keyboard and mouse (good)
Monitor w/full ht. case (fairly new)
DOS-73 coprocessor board w/software
Lots of other software for the UNIXpc.
WD2010 chip - used briefly, not suspected to be bad. $30 incl.shipping.

ALL REASONABLE OFFERS WILL BE CONSIDERED!

I also have several hard disks I could sell with
the system, if anyone is interested:

CDC 94155-85 (FH 1024cyl. 8 head, 28ms.) -NEW  $500 obo.
CDC 94155-86 (FH 925 cyl. 9 head, 28ms.) -USED $400 obo.
CDC 94155-51 (HH 989 cyl. 5 head, 28ms.) -NEW  $375 obo.

I have a couple of old Seagate ST-412's and IBM XEBEC
controllers if anyone is interested...*CHEEP* ;-)

It's been fun while it lasted.
Thanks to all who helped when I squawked.
I hope I was of help to you once in a while...
To those of you who "swing both ways", see you in comp.sys.ibm.pc 8^)

Thanks again

Dave Mundhenk
...!nucleus!doc
...!att!lc15a!doc
201-580-4943
--
Dave Mundhenk =-=-=-=-=-=-= 201-580-4943
Please reply to:  ...!att!lc15a!doc