Hey UNIX pc'ers with external modems!!

Future Unix Gurus upl at puff.cs.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 20 01:13:29 AEST 1989

Hello again,

I've got a problem that those of you using external modems should
be able to help me with.  I have a MicroTech224E modem.  This is a
hayes compatible with MNP5.  I want to connect it to my UNIX pc.
I've done all the stuff that the UNIX pc owner's manual tells me
to do (i.e. I configured the RS232 port to be a modem, 2400bd)
Now. . . I've used ph0 as a modem and I tried to use the new modem
at a faster speed to connect to a remote machine. . . I get an
error (something like): connect failed: interrupt system call.
then a window comes up saying that the dialer is hung.  (oh yeah
this is also an auto-dial modem).

I'm sorry if this is something that I should be able to figure
out myself, but I can't seem to figure out what's wrong.  For
those of you who've successfully setup an external modem to your
UNIX pc, would you tell me how you did it.  Could you also tell
me what you use to access it?  Is it the same software you'd use
to access ph0?

Please, anyone who's successfully using an external modem on
a UNIX pc, send me what you did.  Thanks in advance!!

Thanks,
-sparkie
p.s. please e-mail responses to the following addresses and NOT
     the address listed above.
ARPA:	sparkie at uhura.cs.wisc.edu
UUCP:	...uunet!mimsy!rutgers!puff!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!harier!sparkie