maintenance costs on a 3b2

Art Gentry gentry at kcdev.UUCP
Wed Sep 27 21:23:38 AEST 1989

In article <1623 at eagle.wesleyan.edu>, lburka at eagle.wesleyan.edu (Heresiarch) writes:
> i need to know how much it costs to maintain a 3b2 per year.  assume a 3b2/110
> with a thirty meg drive, a forty meg drive, and the original four ports.  what
> routine maintenance is required?  what can clever hacks do themselves?  are
> maintenance contracts available?  how much do they cost?  even rough guesses
> are useful.  i need something to write on the funding request form.  send me

Been using 3B's for several years, but never heard of a 3B2/110.  But anyhow,
to answer a few of your questions,  about the only routine maintenance
required is to clean the tape and diskette heads, and cooling fan filters.
If you want to get real clever, poping the cover and blowing the dust off all
the boards now and then is a good idea.  Yes, maintenance contracts are
available, they vary machine to machine, but to give you an idea, I pay $135
a month for a 3B2/310 e/w 2meg RAM, 1 35meg and 1 72 meg disc in an XM unit.
Suggest you contact your closest AT&T sales rep for an exact quote.
--
| R. Arthur Gentry     AT&T Communications     Kansas City, MO     64106 |
| Email: attctc!kcdev!gentry        ATTMail: attmail!kc4rtm!gentry       |