Disk Partitions under Sys V/386

Metro T. Sauper metro at asi.UUCP
Fri Sep 1 23:58:36 AEST 1989

>From article <1108 at virtech.UUCP>, by cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill):
> Why not just install the software with /usr on the  main disk, use FACE
> to format and partition the second disk, mount the second disk and copy
> /usr onto the partition on the second disk, unmount the second disk,
> umount /usr, mount second disk as /usr.  You would also have to modify
> the /etc/fstab file to indicate the new disk partition for /usr and
> you probably would want to labelit the new partition with "usr".
>
> After this you will have the partiton from the first disk to do
> as you wish.

I would be careful moving /usr off of the supported first drive.  It may
make your configuration difficult to upgrade if AT&T ever comes out with
an upgrade which requires you to boot a Unix floppy.  Quite possibly the
unix on the floppy might not support the second drive.  This is a problem
which exists (used to exist??) with 3b2's.  you could not put your /usr
volume on an XM unit and still be able to upgrade your unix using the normal
upgrade procedures.

Of course, you do what you have to do. You may pay the price now or later.

Metro.
--
Metro T. Sauper, Jr.                              Assessment Systems, Inc.
Director, Remote Systems Development              210 South Fourth Street