Disk Partitions under Sys V/386

Joe Brownlee joe at gistdev.UUCP
Sat Sep 2 09:30:29 AEST 1989

In article <1108 at virtech.UUCP> cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>In article <598 at gistdev.UUCP>, joe at gistdev.UUCP (Joe Brownlee) writes:
>>
>> [I asked about putting / and /usr on different disks under Sys V/386]
>
>Why not just install the software with /usr on the  main disk, use FACE
>to format and partition the second disk, mount the second disk and copy
>/usr onto the partition on the second disk, unmount the second disk,
>umount /usr, mount second disk as /usr.  [...]
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| Conor P. Cahill     uunet!virtech!cpcahil      	703-430-9247	!
>| Virtual Technologies Inc.,    P. O. Box 876,   Sterling, VA 22170     |
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

I had thought of this, and I got e-mail from some other folks who suggested it,
too.  Well, I tried it and it worked fine.  I did have to re-boot to get the
thing to let go of the original /usr, but when it came back up I unmounted and
re-labelled it, and all was well.  Thanks everyone who responded; you gave me
confidence that my solution was the right one!

Joe Brownlee       | Captain, please -- not in front of the Klingons.
GIST, Inc.         |                                -- Mr. Spock, Star Trek V
1800 Woodfield Dr. | Pay attention to what I say, and you might start a trend.
Savoy, IL 61874	   | ARPANET: joe%gistdev at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
(217) 352-1165	   | UUCP   : {uunet,pur-ee,convex}!gistdev!joe