device-independent troff -> raster

Kris A. Kugel kak at hico2.UUCP
Mon Feb 26 06:01:26 AEST 1990

Well, now that I've installed the new hard disk,
and gotten uPort nroff installed on my 6300+,
I'm getting itchy to figure out how to use ditroff
with this setup.  Unfortunately, all I have is an
okidata 192 printer.  But I keep thinking, if I can
write a filter which turns the instructions output
by troff into rasters, I'll have turned my printer
into a slow-crummy-but-servicable fake typesetter!
ok, so it doesn't REALLY have enough resolution, it'd
be fun to play around with anyway.

1. Has anybody out there done such a thing?  (a previewer, perhaps?)
2. How can I find an accurate discription of the output of ditroff?
   (so I can write an interpreter)
3. Is this a lot harder than it sounds?  Is there a better solution?

				Kris A. Kugel
	{uunet,att,rutgers}!westmark!hico2!kak <--daily
	                        ssbn!hico2!kak <--semi-daily