Use csh for vt's in AT+T Unix?

Ted Powell ted at eslvcr.UUCP
Tue Feb 27 06:28:24 AEST 1990

In article <59 at dynasys.UUCP> jessea at dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) writes:
>I was wondering if there was anyway to use csh for the virtual
>terminals in AT+T Unix.  It uses sh by default, but I'd like to
>use csh on all of them.  I would rather it come up with csh so
>I wouldn't have to run csh on top of sh.  No use running something
>you don't use.  Thanx in advance.

Just be sure you set the environment variable SHELL to /bin/csh _before_
you fire up vtlmgr, so that it inherits it.

Various AT&T software packages add lines to a user's .profile when some
sort of add-user script is run, but ignore .login and .cshrc. For this
reason, I have my login shell configured as /bin/sh, and the tail end of
my .profile looks like this:

	SHELL=/bin/csh
	export SHELL

	. $HOME/.vtlmgrsetup
	. $HOME/.facesetup
	. $HOME/.olsetup	 #!@ Do not edit this line !@

	exec /bin/csh

When /bin/sh encounters the exec, it replaces itself with /bin/csh --
it doesn't hang around. Note that, for this reason, any lines in your
.profile following the exec will not be executed by /bin/sh. This can be
significant if you do a software install that appends lines to your
.profile (i.e. you have to move the exec to the end again).
--
ted at eslvcr.wimsey.bc.ca   ...!ubc-cs!van-bc!eslvcr!ted    (Ted Powell)