HDERR and the verbose loader problem 7300 ???

John McMillan jcm at mtune.ATT.COM
Thu Feb 22 02:38:22 AEST 1990

In article <2814 at umbc3.UMBC.EDU> greg at umbc3.umbc.edu (Greg Sylvain,Lib 007A,3929,4376834) writes:

>	Hi, I had a couple of problems with my 7300 this weekend can anyone
>help.  First, I was re-compiling HDB uucp in one login and doing something else
>in another. And all of a suden everything came to a screcthing halt, all disk
>activity stoped and the machine froz.  This happened twice this weekend.  I'm
>running the 3.51m kernal and all accompanying patches, with a Meg. on the
>mother board and 8 Megs. on the disk for swap.  This is the error msg :
>
>#HDERR ST:C2 CL:1 CH:0 SN: 8 SL:8 SDH:27 DMACNT:FFFF DCRREG:9F MCRREG:C500
>#WD1010 ST=/BS/CIP/ EF=/BdB/CRC/TK0?/ Cy=1. SC=8. HD=7. dr#=0. MCR2:0x0
				       =======================-- guess
			             (hint:Cylinder#1,Sector#8,Track#7,drive0)
				 ====-----Cannot Find TRACK-ZERO
                             ===----------CRC Error
                         ===--------------Bad Block Detected
	        ===-----------------------Command In Progress (ain't finished)
	     ==---------------------------Busy
	 =============== -- bad block in Swap Area, obviously 8)

>I didn't get around to copying the first error msg down, so I don't know
>if it happened on the same cylinder/track/head or not.  Does anyone
>know what the rest of this stuff means ? It's a brand new disk so I hope it's
>not the disk.  And I ran full diags. on everything and it all came up clean.

  I've never seen this combination of DRECK before.
  How far do you get in BOOT?

  Are you doing anything tres' whacky?  Odd Step Rates?  Unpaid AT&T bills?

  Try:
	1) Cooling the machine down -- yeah... you've done this...8)
	2) Running the diagnostix disk to find&mark the bad block -- this too?
	2a) Running the diagnostix disk to mark the bad block -- this too?
	3) Replacing the WD chip?

>I haven't gotten around to opening up the box yet to look at the connections,
>so...

  Check if error's at same location.
  	If NOT -- consider checking connections.
  	If it IS -- ... sigh... E-mail for more help.
:
:

john mcmillan -- att!mtune!jcm