RFS and Remote Logins

Peter J. Holsberg holsberg at pilot.njin.net
Wed Feb 21 22:41:35 AEST 1990

Please forgive me if you have seen this before, but I haven't seen any

I have a 3B2/400 ("mc3") to which are attached 20 terminals (located
in one room--the "lab").  I have another 3B2/400 ("mccc") to which is
attached a Telebit Trailblazer Plus modem.  THe two 3B2s are connected
via StarLAN, and RFS is running on the network.  I have the /usr file
system of mc3 mounted on /MC3-usr of mccc so that when a student calls
in, he./she is logged to $HOME (via RFS).

The problem occurs when a student decides to change his/her password.
Then I, the friendly SA, must manually change the passwd file of the
other computer.  Isn't there some mechanism by which changing a passwd
on one machine will automagically change it on the other?  Perhaps I
have my RFS login mapping set up incorrectly (it's
global-transparent)??  All suggestions will be welcomed.  Thanks.

Pete