3.5" drive on PC6300???

david richard cook drcook at hubcap.clemson.edu
Mon Feb 26 23:47:35 AEST 1990

>From article <5646.25e5c6f0 at elroy.uh.edu>, by bchs1b at elroy.uh.edu:
> I wish to install a 3.5" floppy drive in my old computer at home which is
> an ATT PC6300 vintage about 1984. It came as a 2 floppy system and I have
> since added a hard drive with its own controller.
> Will I need to do anything special to run a 3.5 drive other than upgrading
> to DOS 3.3? Do I have a choice of using a 1.44 drive or will I be limited
> to 720K drive. Will my floppy controller run both fine, do I need a new
> controller for either? Any information appreciated before I forge ahead.

	You can use the original floppy controller to install a 720K
drive on the PC-6300.  The BIOS should be version 1.43.  If you do not
have this version it can be ordered for $35.00 from AT&T.
	You will also need DOS 3.3 so a DRIVEPARM line can be added in
config.sys.
	Hope this helps!

David R. Cook
Clemson University