Help Needed With AT&T 3B2/300 & 3B2/400...

Greg A. Woods woods at robohack.UUCP
Tue Feb 27 13:58:52 AEST 1990

In article <77604 at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Mowgli Assor <mowgli at cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
> [ about OS/compilers ]

The OS upgrade path isn't all that cheap (~$1500 from 3.1 to 3.2), and
the new compiler is quite expensive too, but even so, I'd recommend
buying a copy while it's still supported.  I imagine it'll soon be the
end of the line for the 300's and 400's, though the 400 is binary
compatible with the 500-600-700, so far as I know.

> Second, it appears that we don't have anything which will transfer a file
> using a protocol of sorts.

Don't you have uucp on the 300?  The base OS comes with it.  I do have
kermit, but I wouldn't even think of using it between unix machines!
(unless uucp was missing...)

> Third, is there an FTP site/binaries group/something where one can get PD
> stuff for the 3B2 machines?

Just keep watching comp.sources.  There's also the u3b hierarchy (ask
your local news feed).  You probably don't want binaries....  There's
nothing special about the 3B2 as far as portability goes, and anything
ported to SysV will compile and run fine.

You could also find your nearest comp.sources archives and arrange
some form of access.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{robohack,gate,eci386,tmsoft,ontmoh}.UUCP
+1 416 443-1734 [h]   +1 416 595-5425 [w]   VE3-TCP   Toronto, Ontario; CANADA