Help with AT&T 3B2/300

Naim Abdullah naim at eecs.nwu.edu
Wed Feb 14 15:23:25 AEST 1990

best at seas.gwu.edu (keith best) writes about a 3b2/300:
>Previously when I tried to access the FIRMWARE mode, I got an NVRAM SANITY
>failure: I have since replaced the battery, but now I get a SYSTEM FAILURE:
>CONSULT YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION UTILITIES GUIDES.  This guide does not
>mention this error message.  The FLOPPY KEY disk gives the same error.
>The system is running SYSTEM V Release 2.0 3B2 Version 2.0.  We are way past
>support from AT&T who donated the computer system so we would appreciate any
>help from knowledgeable users out there.

I am in exactly the same situation as Keith. I too, have an aging 3b2/300
that was being thrown out and I volunteered to take it over. We don't have
the floppy key disk for the system. When I turn it on, it gives me the
same NVRAM SANITY FAILURE mentioned by Keith. And yes, I replaced the battery
too. I still get the same message.

Any ideas from those who have tried to restore a 3b2/300 to life ? Your posting
may help save the life of a 3b2. Write soon; operators are standing by... :-)

     Naim

     (naim at eecs.nwu.edu)