Help with AT&T 3B2/300

keith best best at seas.gwu.edu
Wed Feb 14 09:07:34 AEST 1990

I need help from some Unix gurus out there....preferably those familiar with
AT&T's line of 3B2 computers.  The library where I work has a 3B2/300 computer
that has not been used in about 4 years.  I recently tried to set it up for someproductive use but I do not have the passwords for ROOT or SYSADM.  Therefore, it is practically useless.  The previous system administrators are no longer available.
I have all the original software and documentation (I hope) and would not discard the idea of deleting everything and reloading the system from scratch.  I have followed the ROOT RECOVERY METHOD as outlined in the documents to the letter without success.
Previously when I tried to access the FIRMWARE mode, I got an NVRAM SANITY
failure: I have since replaced the battery, but now I get a SYSTEM FAILURE:
CONSULT YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION UTILITIES GUIDES.  This guide does not mention this error message.  The FLOPPY KEY disk gives the same error.
The system is running SYSTEM V Release 2.0 3B2 Version 2.0.  We are way past
support from AT&T who donated the computer system so we would appreciate any
help from knowledgeable users out there.
                                                   Thanks in advance

                                                    Keith S. Best

Internet Address:    best at seas.gwu.edu