3B2 binary compatibility.

Paul S. R. Chisholm psrc at pegasus.ATT.COM
Wed Feb 21 15:07:31 AEST 1990

< Krasny Oktyabr:  the hunt is on, March 2, 1990 >

In article <25DAF038.5A6 at marob.masa.com>, daveh at marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond)
writes that:
>. . . binaries can be made portable to 3B2's, 3B15's and 3B4000's
> with the right compiler switches (-K with the CPLU4.2 compiler,
> default with the Release 3 compiler).

The -K flag takes one or more comma separated arguments:  -Kc compiles
so that all 3B2's (including 310s without MAUs and 300s) can run the
a.out; -Kc requires a 32100 or better (i.e., not a 300), but does
floating point emulation in software (so the result will run on a 310
without an MAU), and -Kmau requires a 32100 or better *and* an MAU.
(The -O flag optimizes for space or for speed, respectively, depending
on whether -Ksz or -Ksp is used.  A small, compatible program could be
generated with -Kc,sz; a fast program, with -Kmau,sp.)  This is
described in the CPLU 4.2 (4.0?) Release Notes.

The -Kc/-Kfpe/-Kmau default is set by /bin/cc, which (at least under
SVR3.2) is a shell script that invokes /lib/cc.  If no -K flag is
passed to /lib/cc, the default is the same as -Kc.

> Dave Hammond, daveh at marob.masa.com, uunet!masa.com!marob!daveh

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc at pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.