Unix PC 3.51 smgr

Ed Horch ebh at argon.UUCP
Fri Feb 16 05:18:34 AEST 1990

First off, thanks to all who made it possible, add me to the list of
people who successfully applied the 3.51m fixdisk to a 3.5 system.
The only weird panic trap I've experienced is when I tried to copy the
original tar file to floppies using "cp".  When the first disk filled,
the next write failed, and when I removed the floppy, the system panic
trapped.  It hasn't panic trapped again since.  Moral: Don't do nutso
things with the floppy unless you can afford a crash.

Anyway, on to my question:  I seem to remember hearing someplace that
the 3.51 /etc/smgr program replaced that annoying "Your hard disk is
almost out of space" pop-up window with something less obnoxious.  Is
this true?  Now that I have the 3.51m kernel, I see no compelling
reason to plunk down megabucks for a whole new 3.51 foundation set,
but I do run low on space a lot, and I *hate* those interruptions, so
if the 3.51 smgr handles it differently, I'd like to replace mine.

Also, I seem to remember hearing that somebody had ported the /dev/xt
driver for 630/5620/Blit terminals to the Unix PC.  Is this available
anywhere?  I have a 630 at work and would love to be able to run
layers when I log into argon from there.

Also, I have a patch for jove 4.13 that will dynamically size a window
given the font in use and the window's physical size, in much the same
manner as what it already does for 630's.  Send me mail if you'd like
it.  (It's small enough that I may post it, along with the other
patched necessary to get it to compile under gcc 1.36.)

-Ed  (Finally back on the air five months after the move!)